Thursday, February 4, 2010

Nausicaa

I had never seen Miyazaki's Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind until yesterday. It was awesome.

I like the evocative worlds Miyazaki creates in his films. In Nausicaa, the world reminded me of that of Skies of Arcadia, which I played profusely when I was younger. The Tolmekian airships reminded me of the gigantic Valuan Battleships in that game.



One thing that I've noticed thus far about Miyazaki's films is that although they can be predictable to a certain extent, they still manage to be original in the way they're executed. For instance, in Nausicaa, I expected the apocalyptic climax and resurrection at the end, and they happened.

I think that there's an important lesson for artists here. As I've learned in other film classes and in my own experience, there's only so many themes that can be expressed through art. The question is how we do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment