Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Porco Rosso: De-Assurance

Porco Rosso is the most "de-assuring" of the films by Miyazaki that I've seen thus far.

Even from the strange, 'typed-out' introduction, the film seemed to be playing with my expectations, subverting what I have come to take for granted in Miyazaki films.


Some more examples...

1. The main character was not the girl, Fio, but the pig, Porco. Moreover, Fio didn't show up for quite a while.

2. The film took place in the real world, albeit one with a strange 'underground' society of air pirates.

3. The dogfights, especially the final one, subverted my expectations of a dogfight because Miyazaki seemed to refuse to show much real aerial violence. He had no problem showing the fistfight, though.

4. Although Porco ostensibly got what he wanted in the end (to become human again), the moment was not focused on in any conventional way. I expected to see Porco's human face at the very end of the film, but I was "de-assured" yet again.


Because of all of these oddities, I wonder greatly about the circumstances of this film's creation. I suspect it was more than Miyazaki simply wanting to make a film about pilots.

No comments:

Post a Comment